Gas Safety Week: Fighting for a Gas Safe Nation
We are proud to be supporting Gas Safety Week 2020. This is currently in progess from 14th – 20th September 2020.
Gas Safety Week is annual, to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your gas appliances. It is co-ordinated by the Gas Safe Register. This register is an official list of gas engineers, who are legally allowed to work on gas appliances.
Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances, can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. CO is a highly poisonous gas that can kill quickly with no warning, as you cannot see it, taste it or smell it.
Landlords’ are legally responsible for the safety of their tenants. Landlords’ must make sure maintenance and annual safety checks on gas appliances, are carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
If you’re a Landlord, you are legally obliged to make sure:
- Gas pipework, appliances and flues provided for tenants are maintained in a safe condition.
- All gas appliances and flues provided for tenants’ use have an annual safety check. Your tenants can report you to the HSE if you don’t provide one, so it’s important to remember! You can set a free email and/or text reminder so you don’t forget, visit StayGasSafe.co.uk.
- A Gas Safety Record is provided to the tenant within 28 days of completing the check or to any new tenant before they move in.
- You keep a copy of the Gas Safety Record until two further checks have taken place.
- Maintenance and annual safety checks are carried out by a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer.
- All gas equipment (including any appliance left by a previous tenant) is safe or otherwise removed before re-letting.
Do call us if you would like us to book one in for you!